Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!

I don't know if the Saudis have arranged marriages like in some Asian countries, but I do know that everything -- and I mean everything -- to do with courtship, engagement and marriage happens behind the closed doors of the family home, and at no time are any public displays of affection or romance tolerated.
That's why the Muttawa (Religious Police) see to it that any Valentine's cards are removed from store shelves, and why I couldn't buy Karen one this year. (Abigail got one from her boyfriend though. He said he'd got it from a department store in town -- must be lying!)

I saw this cartoon on the website of The Arab News today. Not sure what they're trying to say with it but it seems unnecessarily hostile to me.

Click image to enlarge

No comments: