Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It was 20 years ago today...

... and on September 20, 1986, while Sergeant Pepper was teaching the band to play, Karen and I were tying the knot at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic church in Hayes, Middlesex. It was a lovely sunny, mild autumn day, and my brother Jes was Best Man, and Karen's sister Laura was one of the Bridesmaids. We had a lovely reception for around 120 guests at the Heathrow Ambassador Hotel (now the Quality Hotel), and next morning jetted off to Rhodes for our honeymoon; a holiday that I won on the TV game show Bob's Full House the previous month!

Left to right: My mum & dad Brian & Sheila, Me & Karen, Karen's mum Mary, and dad Stan (sadly no longer with us)

This is the only wedding photo we have with us here; Karen's mum is looking after the album for us while we're away. I can't believe it's been twenty years already; in one sense the time has flown by but at the same time it seems a lifetime ago. I'm struggling to remember what our lives were like before the children were born. I think I may still have the suit somewhere, although it would be a bit tight now - they shrink with age y'know!

Anyway, we'll be raising a glass or two of bubbly with friends this evening. If you find yourself with a drink in your hand, drink a toast to us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!!!!!!